Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Couple of Goodbyes

This past weekend two family members passed away. Though it is always sad, both of them had very long and very good lives. My grandmother on my father's side was 92. I'll mourn her privately, but the second family member was more public, so I think I can talk a little about him here.

Perhaps you saw recent news articles about him? His name was Frank Buckles and at 110 he was the last surviving American WWI veteran. My grandmother on my mother's side had the maiden name of Buckles, and Frank was her uncle. So, I think that makes him my great great uncle. My mom calls him Uncle Woodruff, so I think he went by his middle name. I am sad that I never got to meet him.

Goodbye Grandma Cross. I'll miss you. And goodbye Great Great Uncle Woodruff. I wish I could have met you.

11 comments:

  1. wow, he had a long life. I can only imagine what he saw and learned. My sympathies for your losses, especially your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sympathies also for your loss...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My condolences. Your "uncle" must have been a treasure of history...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bryan, that's what I can't help thinking, but that side of the family was never involved with my side for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh ted! i'm so sorry for your losses! and that you didn't even get to know your uncle before he passed! 110 years does sound like a long full life, as well as 92 years! but it doesn't take away the pain of losing your grandma... my prayers will be with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry for your loss, and America's loss. A generation has passed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry for your loss, Ted. And I did see that on CNN. Wow, such history right there in your own family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *sending hugs* I know older people with long lives aren't the same kind of tragic deaths as younger people, but it's still hard. How cool though, to decend from the last World War I vet (sort of) and it sounds like you have fabulous longevity on both sides, so that's a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sympathies to you on your losses. Take good care of yourself and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone. Hart, it's mostly the women of our family. My Great Grandmother lived until 102, but my father only until 45 and my grandfather only until 60.

    ReplyDelete