Monday, May 7, 2012

I'm in a Movie!

I blogged about this last week, but I really didn't expect to have any chance to get involved in the new Die Hard 5 movie. Then on Friday a call went out to Embassy folks looking for anyone who speaks good English to come out. Naturally I volunteered, and I volunteered my wife as well! Here is one of the forms I had to fill out.
Early Saturday morning we visited the movie base camp, well hidden in a fenced off deserted lot behind a mall. Most of the Embassy folks were fitted out for roles at a New York city police precinct, but they took my wife and me and dressed us up as Russian businesspeople for an airplane scene. We were excited. Below is a cast list showing us, though I've blanked out other names so as not to get into trouble.
Very early this morning we showed up and they had switched things around for the day, so my wife was dressed as an office worker in the police precinct and I was dressed as a police detective, gun and all. Sitting through makeup didn't take long, since they didn't put any makeup on me, but messed around with my hair to give me a conservative look. You can see by this photo my wife took of me with two of the 'hookers' that they did my hair really funny. It was taken with a phone camera and there are odd light circles in the low res shot, so forgive the low quality.
There was a lot of waiting around, though it was fun when a guy read the script of the scene we were doing today. I saw Bruce Willis, who I had always thought was short, but he turned out to be at least as tall as me (6' 1") if not a bit taller. In the end we ended up not being used today, which was a letdown, but there are many more days of shooting, so I suspect we'll end up being used. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and having fun anyway!

19 comments:

  1. I told you. hope they use you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! Good timing with your stay there. Let us know where to look for you in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I make it, Alex. If I make it. I have a buddy who has done this in three movies, but his parts have always been cut, except for his forearm shooting pool in Mirrors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look awesome. I hope you make it in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're funny, Matt! I think that's one of the dorkiest photos I've seen of me. Some other guy took the same shot but a few seconds earlier, so I'm hoping his came out better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's an experience not to be forgotten. I remember staying at Stowe School when they were shooting the book burning scene from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade. I got to eat Steven Spielberg's Lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Literally, Martin? That must have been interesting, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I got some lunch from the on site catering, so it could have been his. The story's better that way.

      Delete
  8. Ted, you'd make an excellent pimp.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations famous guy. You have movie star looks. This only proves it even more. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw man, Michael! I don't like the way I look in this picture, dressed up like an accountant from hell. I only put it up because I thought the 'hookers' were awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a blast - I hope you get into the film! Either way, have fun with it.
    One Writer's Mind

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw the picture before I read the text and thought, "Hmmm. His wives are kind of hot." Awkward...

    Although I am sure the missus is just as, if not more, attractive!

    That looks like fun! I thought Bruce Willis was short, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Maggie. My wife was happy to take the photo, because she knows she is more attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome! I'll be sure to look out for you once it premiers :) Major jealously going on here right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Ted. Very cool opportunity. Let us know if you make the cut! Height in Hollywood is funny. Arnold is a shrimp, but looks tall and Willis is a giant and looks like a shrimp on screen. LOL. Thanks for sharing your story! Check my blog tomorrow for a link.
    - Maurice Mitchell
    The Geek Twins | Film Sketchr
    @thegeektwins | @mauricem1972

    ReplyDelete
  16. so freaking cool Ted, enjoy the ride, my friend! bragging rights for life right here

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Elena, though I'll be able to brag a little bit better if I can actually appear in the movie! They say I can try again on June 4.

    ReplyDelete